FIRST VINTAGE ON THE MARKET
Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc
The soils on which the vineyards stand has varied and complex terrain features with a strong presence of limestone, feature areas rich in marl and pebbles as well as being partly clayey. The production facilities are located at an average altitude of between 80 and 400 metres above sea level, with a west/south-west exposure.
The weather trend was not particularly favourable. A rather wet and cool year conditioned by temperatures that were often below average, especially in spring and summer. July was particularly cloudy and affected by winds. Rains at the beginning of August brought the summer to an end. This encouraged greater aromatic extraction but resulted in wines with less structure.
Fermentation took place in 20 hectolitre Slavonian oak open vats. Maceration lasted about a week.
The ageing barrels used were 75 % Slavonian oak and new French barrels for the remaining 25 %. The Slavonian oak barrels made in Conegliano, Veneto were 40 % new and 60 % first-passage. Ageing lasted 18 months.